Naturopathy is an art and science of healthy living and a drugless system of healing based on well-founded philosophy. It has its own concept of health and disease and also the principle of treatment. Naturopathic practitioners do not rely on invasive treatments but instead rely on diet and lifestyle strategies that promote good health. Naturopathic doctors use diet, exercise and lifestyle tactics to combat disease.
Here are a few lifestyle changes presented to us from Naturopathy.
- Waking up: Try to wake up while the sun rises and go for a walk. This can help you get your dose of Vitamin D and also help in better digestion.
- Oral health: Oil pulling is a practice that has been around since ages. Naturopathy recommends using cold pressed coconut oil for swishing. It can reduce inflammation and fight all bacteria in your mouth.
- Detox with a Green smoothie: Make your own detox smoothie. Here’s one green recipe for you. Use a few leaves of spinach ( Palak) along with coriander, curry leaves, and amla (Indian Gooseberry). Blend these together with water and consume it to exponentially increase the anti-oxidant intake in your body. You can add ginger to this if you have a liking for it.
- White to brown: Switch your white rice to brown rice if possible. They are healthier, nutrient-dense food.
- Warm water with ghee: Having a glass of warm water with pure ghee increases the ability of your body to absorb nutrients from the food. It is preferred to do this 15-20 minutes before food.
- Lots of water: We can’t emphasize this enough. Drink lots of water throughout the day. They help reduce the build-up of toxins in your body.
- Replace your salt: Try to replace your normal white salt to Himalayan pink salt as it contains a good amount of trace minerals without really compensating on the taste.
- Color your plate: Eat your food from all food groups. Along with your rice or roti, have legumes (dal) and colored vegetables. Try not to deep fry your vegetables.
- Early dinner: Your digestion gets sluggish once the sun goes down. So, early dinner leads to better digestion.
Although these are general lifestyle changes suggested, each body is different. If you have a condition or looking for a specific outcome, it is best that you reach out to a Naturopathy doctor.