Fruits are mostly abundant in vitamins and minerals and often find their way in our daily diet. Amongst all the fruits, watermelon is one such fruit that delivers the necessary nutrients in all the right quantities. A lot of fitness experts and trainers recommend this eatable. In order to understand why it can be your best friend, the following pointers would be quite valuable.
Is Watermelon a fruit or a vegetable?
It is used in different forms in different parts of the world. We treat it as a fruit in India, while those in China believe it to be a vegetable.
Why Watermelon is beneficial for a good health?
- It maintains the water balance and forms alkaline in the body.
- It consists of 92% of water, the highest among any food found on earth. Due to this, it helps in keeping the body hydrated. However, it should be noted that it is not a substitute for drinking fresh water.
- Its consumption is known to reduce the risk of prostate and breast cancers. Researches have shown that it also acts as an antioxidant.
- It is a type of diuretic and was an alternative to homeopathic treatment before the procedure of dialysis came into existence.
- American Heart Association has certified it as a healthy heart food.
- Watermelon supplies potassium in good quantities and helps the functioning of nerves and muscles. Also helps in the cure of asthma, arthritis, and diabetes.
- Excellent source of Vitamins A and C
- Contains no cholesterol or caffeine which means it automatically is useful for heart treatments.
- Highly useful in detoxing and cleansing the body.
- Eating watermelon reduces the risk of high blood pressure.
- Watermelon extracts are used in the making of a lot of health products.
- It contains more amount of Lycopene than tomatoes.Lycopene is good at preventing heart diseases.
- Watermelon juices are known to relieve soreness of muscles.
- Watermelon seeds are also healthy and edible, containing good amounts of iron, zinc and fiber.
- It is also helpful for glowing skin.
Some Watermelon facts
- There are 1200 varieties of watermelon grown worldwide.
- It is cultivated in 96 countries worldwide
- They come in different sizes and shapes.
- United States of America ranks fourth in growing watermelons
Apart from the above mentioned benefits, it is considered to be the best summer fruit that rejuvenates and energizes the body. Watermelon syrups, milkshakes and salads are the most popular options for breakfast or during any other meal. There’s a famous quote on the fruit that goes as,” “When one has tasted watermelon, he knows what angels eat” by Mark Twain.
Watermelons are also found in yellow colors. They have their own set of nutritional benefits.
Nutritional breakdown of watermelon
One cup of diced watermelon (152 grams) contains 43 calories, 0 grams fat, 2 milligrams sodium, 11 grams carbohydrate (including 9 grams of sugar) and 1 gram fiber. A cup of watermelon provides 17% vitamin A, 21% vitamin C, 2% iron and 1% calcium.