There are times when no matter how many hours we have put into our workday, there is still a ton left to do. It is a wearying feeling to not be able to get all that you expected done during the day. We live in a world that judges us on the basis of our productivity. The more we do, the more effectively we do it, the better it is for us. This, however, throws up a quandary that most of us are achingly familiar with – how do we get the most out of our workday?
There are innumerable ways that we can boost our productivity through the day. Here are some tried and tested options to help you do just that:

Turn Off Technology

The biggest distraction when we are working, these days, is technology. Everything from our phones to emails brings with it a distraction from what we are sitting to accomplish. When you are at work, ensure that you are completely dedicated to it. If you need, switch off your phone or put them on airplane mode. Make sure that there are no social media sites open on simultaneous tabs, these are
a potent source of distraction and should be avoided like the plague. Instead, use social media and your phone as a bait or reward for you to be more productive.

Plan and Prioritize

The best way to ensure that you are not spending too much time on not-so-important tasks is to plan your day beforehand. Have a set priority list for your day and steadily work through it. Allot yourself a spare couple of minutes in case an urgent priority appears. This planning is crucial to increasing your productivity and accomplishing all the essential tasks that you need to accomplish.
The 80/20 rule is very handy here. It states that 80% of your time is occupied by tasks that contribute less than half to your productivity, while the other 20% contribute that much or more.
Planning and prioritizing helps you achieve the maximum efficiency.

Take Breaks

Research states that working through the day, without breaks, not only decreases efficiency but also increases fatigue. Use the Pomodoro technique. After every half an hour of work, take a five-minute break.
After every 100 minutes take a 15-30 minute break. Pomodoro in Italian means tomatoes, and the technique is named after the tomato-shaped timers that help in this process. These days, however, you can just as easily download an app to help you for the same. The breaks will give you time to refresh and approach the work with more agility when you return.

Avoid Clutter

Having a cluttered desk, or even your computer’s desktop can lead to making it difficult for you to switch from one project to the other. It is distracting at best, and time-consuming at worst. Having a well-organized desk is a sign of having a well-organized mind and works towards helping you save time and becoming more efficient in your day-to-day dealings. Have a proper in and out tray, a pen-
stand and filing system to help you organize your desk. Research on folderization systems for your computer to help you best access the information you need in a crunch.
Getting the most out of your day is all a matter of wanting to cut all the redundant time-consuming activities we do. The above tips will help you not only be more productive but also ensure you are not unduly fatigued at the end of the day.

What do you think?